Guidelines for use of Mask & Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
Guidelines for use of Mask
Masks are effective if worn according to instructions and properly fitted. Masks should be discarded and changed if they become physically damaged or soaked. The correct procedure of wearing a triple-layer surgical mask.
1. Perform hand hygiene
2. Unfold the pleats; make sure that they are facing down.
3. Place over nose, mouth, and chin.
4. Fit flexible nose piece over the nose bridge.
5. Secure with tie strings (upper string to be tied on top of the head above the ears –lower string at the back of the neck.)
6. Ensure there are no gaps on either side of the mask, adjust to fit.
7. Do not let the mask hanging from the neck.
8. Change the mask after six hours or as soon as they become wet.
9. Disposable masks are never to be reused and should be disposed off.
10. While removing the mask great care must be taken not to touch the potentially infected outer surface of the mask
11. To remove mask first untie the string below and then the string above and handle the mask using the upper strings.
12. Disposal of used masks: Used mask should be considered as potentially infected medical waste. Discard the mask in a closed bin immediately after use.
Guidelines for Using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
While Carrying out disinfection at infected spot wearing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is Very Important. A person should wear appropriate PPE which would include the following while carrying out cleaning and disinfection work.
1. Wear disposable rubber boots, gloves (heavy duty), and a triple-layer mask
2. Gloves should be removed and discarded damaged, and a new pair worn.
3. All disposable PPE should be removed and discarded after cleaning activities are completed.
4. Hands should be washed with soap and water immediately after each piece of PPE is removed, following completion of cleaning. ( Read more about Steps of Hand Hygiene)